Thursday, October 23, 2008

Post-0p Check Up and More Happy Tears





Wow. I haven't kept up with this blog very well. Jamie was released from the hospital on Thursday September 18th. For the whole story go over to my other blog. I was much better about updates over there. He has really done very well, and has even gained weight. He's now 20lbs 1oz! That is so much better! It's still not up to his pre-sick weight, but he looks healthy and seems healthy. We had his first post-op check up today. I left crying, I was so happy. They don't need to see him for a year, and Dr. West said there are no medical restrictions on his activities. Here we were, back in the hospital where my poor baby had tubes and blood and real risk of dying only a month ago, and they were telling me he was healthy and normal and could do anything. I'm still so relieved I can't stand it. I've been afraid they'd say there was something wrong. Going back there was great and terrible. Great because they saved him. Great because we took him home the first time. Great because we got to take him home again. Great because they told us he was perfect. Great because it reminded us of how wonderful the medical care is there. Terrible because I was reminded of my baby laying lifeless on a bed with tubes in him. Terrible because I was reminded of how we could have lost him. Terrible because it reminded me of my baby looking at me to save him and make all the bad things go away, and me being unable to fix it, even if I did get him the best care I could. Terrible because I know that just a few weeks ago at that very hospital, another little boy died after a few short weeks of life after surgery and pain. That hospital isn't full of only happy endings. But we got one, and I'm so grateful. All I can do now is thank God for letting our boy stay with us, thank everyone who prayed for us, and thank all the nurses and doctors for taking such good care of him, and thank Jamie for being such a resilient fighter and not giving up.

On an academic note, I'm working on getting that darn paper written up about the models I've been running on Betelgeuse. I've finished all 66 (yes, I did say 66!) models and will now begin the daunting task of graphing and combining models. Also, it looks like I'll be supported on RA next semester! So work is going very well, despite 3 weeks of frustration due to coding HELL. Seriously, HELL. Anyway. After this paper is out, I'll be working on the coding again. SIGH But, on the major upside, I'll be able to start a new project. More to come on that later. But a tantalizing hint: lots of data on binaries! :)

We're getting the house ready to sell it. The market really sucks, but our house is actually in great shape as compared with a lot of what's on the market, so I think it should sell in a few months at most. We have found a house we'd like to buy if it's still available when we get an offer on ours. It's only a few blocks away, is much larger, needs some work, but is livable and has fabulous potential. But if it's not on the market when we're ready to make an offer then we'll find something else and that's okay.

No comments: