Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Finally! Legal Internet Connection

So we finally have our own internet connection. The guy came to install it and just plugged it in and left. Hell, I could've done that. So I hooked it up to my computer, and it would only let me go so far before it said I had to call customer support to verify info. So I did, and got a tech support guy in Michigan who, naturally, couldn't mess with the accounts here in California. So I called again and put in a bogus phone number with a local California area code, and finally got a tech here in Cali. So then he couldn't find the account and couldn't locate the modem on his system. We tried Annie's name with various spellings of her last name. We tried the service number. We tried Annie's phone number. We tried our address. We tried the zip code. Nothing. Finally he looked for it under the MAC ID number from the bottom of the modem and he found it. All the info was there on the file and should have popped up during the search, but didn't. We did find however that the service order had to numbers exchanged. Either I gave it to him wrong or he put it in wrong and I didn't catch it when he said it back to me. Anyway. Finally got it set up on his end, and just had to load the driver. And, Lo and Behold!, the driver for this modem wasn't on the install CD. So I had to do some looking around to make sure, and finally had to decide to find it online, said goodbye to the tech. And dumped all of the install crap from my computer, and hooked it up to the wireless router, and voila! We have internet. The router doesn't need the driver, so what do I care. We all have wireless modems anyway and prefer to connect that way. Ha Ha! Victory is MINE!

So we are thinking about adding a roommate or two. If we add this one guy, then he can either split the large bedroom with me (trust me, there will be no nudity or hanky panky), or he can take the livingroom. If we add two, one will share with me, and the other can take the living room, or they can split the living room. Either way, that's less in rent and utilities for me to pay. It was Annie's idea, but Lauren and I agree that it's okay and even a good idea. Now we're thinking about taking a trip to LA where the beaches are warmer. And staying with a friend of Annie's who lives near Hollywood in a neighborhood with famous people. Oh, the excitement!

And Amanda, I promise to put up some photos of Cali very soon. :)

1 comment:

Saria_Gates said...

No nudity or hanky-panky? That's no fun! ;)