Thursday, July 13, 2006

BBQ, Bible Study, and Body Work

I had a pretty productive day today. I went into work and found I had a problem with my star, modified it and tried it again. I think it's going to work, but I may need to modify it more. So at least I figured it out. And I have a good idea why I want to do my derivation implicitly instead of explicitly and I'm almost done. Yay!

I was a little late to tonight's bbq, but they had a little left and offered to cook more, which of course I didn't make them do. They are really cool guys. We watched an episode of The Unit. It was a pretty good show. I couldn't shut up about the Army stuff, being as knowledgeable as I am about the Army culture, but they didn't seem to mind too much. I came back from the bbq and bible study was still going on, and I had to join in. I stirred things up quite a bit. Thankfully my roommates are in agreement with me, so I didn't feel like I was out of line joining in. There was one guy, Ian, who was all into the male power and we ended up debating whether or not God decreed that women were below men and when God said that and whether it applied to today, and whether God is changing or not, and whether or not people who record the messages of God are able to do so without altering in through their own perception. Very long involved discussion. But we ended agreeing to continue the talk next week. And the same guy, Ian, said that we should invite JC because he could correct or "fill in" the dates and philosophy I didn't know! I mean, really! Wow. So we've come up with some good arguments and are going to discuss it further. Lauren tried not to smirk when I would come back at him with a logical response to the crazy things he said that he thought would shut me up. Haha! And it was awesome when Annie asked him something for which he had no response. She asked him about when we all get to heaven do we have gender? Apparently somewhere it says that we have no gender and there is therefore no gender hierarchy. He just sat there. Haha! Anyway, I was pretty happy with it because we didn't argue, we discussed and debated. But it wasn't personal. I liked that. And I wasn't the only one with my opinion. :) And Lauren called her Dad about the women not being called to serve God and lead others in faith, and he (a former Catholic, now non-denominational guy whom his daughters adore as being a loving caring respectful and respected father) thought that was the most ridiculous thing and is going to find some documentation for us to present at the next bible study meeting. I seriously like this guy.

Then I went to the gym with Annie. I just set up the machine for a cardio workout, and I reached my target in a reasonable time, but it felt too easy, I wanted to go higher and do more. I was singing along with my mp3 player no problem. I think that's how it's supposed to be, but I didn't feel pushed at all. I was able to do it at a fast walk, not a run, so it seemed pretty standard stuff to me. But I started sweating like a pig. It was really hot in there. And now I feel really good. After my 20 min on the walking/running machine, I did some weights, and did some ab work. I feel good. I could get used to this.

2 comments:

Saria_Gates said...

Paul says in his letter to the Galatians that in God there is no man or woman, no free man or slave, etc. In fact, this is repeated in a verse of "One Bread, One Body." One of my friends and I had a debate about whether women should be allowed to be priests. Her position was no because supposedly, women are spiritually different from men. Her thinking was that because women are physically and psychologically different from men, they must be spiritually different. I first told her that that didn't logically follow. Then, I used that quote from Paul's letter to argue against her statement. Finally, I said that even if it is true that women are spiritually different from men, it doesn't mean that women shouldn't be allowed to be priests. Did I convince her? Hell no, but she did have to admit that she couldn't answer my arguments. I think that that quote from Paul's letter says it all. And if this guy really believes that the biblical writers were truly inspired by God, then ask him why Paul would say that and not mean it?

Shelley said...

Excellent point! I will have to use that. So maybe Paul isn't so full of crap as I had thought. I need to read some more of his words.