Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Heat Stroke, Migraine, Coding Happiness, and Package From Home

So my day was rather productive. I was frustrated at first by having to be home while the maintenance guy came in and changed some of the light fixtures in the apartment. I tried to be useful and working while I waited, and the guy was very nice. But, really, why is it that maintenance guys and utility guys feel compelled to call me "Sweetie"? And it's only in California that this happens. *Bewildered headshake* Anyway. I was able to load a gnu fortran compiler on Windows while I waited and tried to run some simulations and it's working nicely! In fact, it looks at this very moment like I might now have what I was looking for. Yay! Okay. Back to my day. I needed to go to the post office annex building to pick up my package from home. I knew it was miserable out (over 100 degrees) so I crushed about three trays of ice and put it in a one liter coke bottle and made some raspberry tea to take with me. I drank it all in an hour and was still overheated when I got home. I started feeling really bad as I waited for the guy to get my package, and it didn't get any better. I ended up getting a migraine because of it. So I took an Imitrex (and for the God-knows-how-manyeth time: bless the people who invented Imitrex and may their descendents know them for the miracle workers they are) and laid down with a cool drink and waited. Finally it let up, and I am again on my feet. Yay! I opened the package from home. First thing I saw were funny stickers with phrases I use all the time being quoted by silly monkeys. Does that make me a silly monkey. I can deal with that. Then I saw the card from Mama. I knew she would include a card or a letter or something. But when I saw it I was elated and the first thing I thought of was the letters Mama would write pretending to be Brandy Wyne. And then I remembered why that wasn't possible anymore and I remembered getting them while working here last year. And so I started sobbing. Loudly. On the streets of Livermore. I think I need more medication. Or a sanitarium. So I called Mama. Of course it thrilled her no end to know her card had me in such a state because of good memories. So I went home, hoping not to throw up before I got there, and hoping my brains would stay in my head as the migraine tried to pop my brain like a pimple. (Yes, I know, very gross, but that's how I felt.) After a bit I was feeling better. And Trevor called from the Heart concert and I got to hear my favorite of their songs "Alone". Nice. Thanks Trevor!

No comments: